Saturday, September 23, 2006

A few happenings

Our apartment is just a highway width away from the north end of Wrangell Narrows ("The Narrows"). We get to see various boats sail by, the gulls and other sea birds fly by, and at least in this weather the comings and goings of the fog over the waters and the tree covered islands across the channel.

There are also a doe and a pair of her offspring that live here and make daily grazing rounds about the apartment grounds. This morning I caught on camera one of them staring into our window with our cats staring back.

Our cats appear to have adjusted well to their new surroundings. The windows don't have any sills, so the first few times the cats tried to get on to the edges, it was rather entertaining seeing them scrambling for non-existent footholds and then clumsily dropping to the floor.

From our apartment, the church is about 1.3 miles away. If it was just me, I'd probably walk, but the kids would likely complain if I made them walk in the rain.

We arrived at the church this morning right around 9:30 and just a minute or so before a member arrived to open it up. There were a total of 9 individuals, including our family, in attendance today. One of those, Chris, is also new to Petersburg. He arrived just a day before us. He plans to stay here through the remainder of the year. He will be a welcome addition to the church, even if only temporarily. He comes from Hayward, CA and came here to get away from some of the busy-ness to find time to connect more deeply with God. I pray that he can find what he needs and that we can be of assistance in his search.

Normally after I give a sermon, I feel completely drained and my back sore from the strain of it all, but for whatever reason, I felt fine today. I also tend to get very sleepy Sabbath afternoons, but again I am feeling quite awake and alert today. Maybe it's nothing, but perhaps this is a small way in which God is letting me know that I am where he wants me.

Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.

No comments: