Friday, September 29, 2006

Animal Antics

An interesting little sight this morning: A couple of deer were out wandering about in front the apartment, grazing, like they often do. A dog came strolling through on the sidewalk. The deer look at the dog, the dog looks at the deer. The dog (I think) tries to threaten the deer by scraping the ground with its fore and hind legs (sort of like what a bull does before it charges).

The dog looks like it could be thinking, "I'm a dog, you're deer. You're supposed to run away now, but you're not. If you don't run, I can't chase. What do I do now?"

And the deer are looking at the dog, a little warily, but perhaps thinking, "You're a dog, we're deer. We're supposed to be afraid of you, but you don't seem so sure of yourself. So we'll just continue our little grazing here until you make up your mind."

The dog approaches, slowly, the deer move away cautiously. And this continues for a few minutes. The dog gives up and goes on its way and the deer are left alone to continue their interrupted morning routine.

I suppose to get the full effect you had to see it. It really was a most interesting episode.

We get weekly reports from our real estate broker every Friday. This was another slow week -- just one showing. A new ad went out this Thursday in the local Sherwood paper and a listing will also be in the Oregonian on Sunday. So we are hoping for a bit more activity. We are still within the average days on market, so I guess we still need to hold on and be patient. I myself keep up on the active listings in the area and agree with our broker that there isn't a whole lot of competition to our house, and that our price is still competitive. But now, having to pay rent in addition to a mortgage, finances are starting to get tight. We would really like to see it sold soon. This is our number one concern at this time. Our second concern is for one of us, preferably Elise, to find work and one that includes some benefits -- this would help out tremendously with our cash flow, particularly if our house continues to remain unsold.

Today, we got our second "dry" day of the week. It only showered for a couple of hours. I went out bicycling for about an hour, and then Elise and I walked to the bank to open a new account. Neither time did we get rained upon. It used to be that if the weather looked even remotely damp, I'd choose to not go out cycling. Now, I'm having to change that mindset and instead, if I spot a bit of a break in the clouds, it's time to get out.

No comments: