Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Sunrise and Orcas


(Click on photos for larger images.) I awoke this morning and peeked out our front window and saw the best sunrise yet since our arrival nearly a week ago. I rushed back to get my camera and in the process awoke Elise. There was a glow in the skies from a few breaks in the clouds, and the clouds were just high enough for a peek of the distant snow-capped mountains in the distance.

I went down over the highway guardrail down to the water's edge to capture a few images. I probably spent five to ten minutes before the clouds closed back in and the light and colors quickly disappeared. On the walk back I encountered a beached pink/purplish jellyfish about 12 inches in diameter. Elise and the girls came out to view this most recent finding.


Towards midday I went out for a bicycle ride. It was off and on pouring rain. I went through the city and towards the south side of the island for the first time since we've arrived this time. I'm sure some of the drivers who passed me wondered what I was doing along a stretch of road that really isn't populated, in the rain. I went about eight miles out total before making a U-turn to head back. Riding a bike in the rain isn't really all that bad -- I used to commute in the rain -- provided one has the right gear to keep dry inside. It's actually quite refreshing to feel the rain drops and feel the water cascade down my face.


Mid-afternoon our landlady ran up to our door and banged on it frantically. She had binoculars in hand and pointing towards the Narrows was exclaiming "Killer whales!" We rushed out and saw what she was talking about, so I rushed back in to get my camera, switch to a long telephoto lens, and ran back out just in time to catch them going through.


The pod of Orcas moved on into Frederick Sound where they stayed for quite a few minutes, probably feeding on some salmon out there.

2 comments:

Teaman said...

Great to see some photos. You indicate clicking on thumbnail to see the larger size but the links are broken. I hacked and figured out to change the url to be nnnnn.jpg instead of the thumbnail link nnnnn/small.jpg and so I could see the larger size but others won't know to do that.

Thanks for postings. Looks like an amazing place.

Mark said...

Thanks. The links are corrected now.