Monday, August 09, 2010

My first salmon

As I posted yesterday I went out last evening to try to catch salmon. As I also posted, I ended up with a greenling and no salmon.

This morning I decided to try Blind River Rapids. I dislike fishing here because all I do is lose lures. But I heard there were still kings migrating upstream. When I got there, indeed there were salmon making their way up. I spent about two hours there. I snagged lures so many times I was surprised I only ended up losing 2-1/2 lures (the 1/2 was a BuzzBomb where I actually was able to retrieve the main lure part but lost the hook and the rubber washer). I was highly annoyed.

The timing was just right so that after I got home, I got a quick lunch and then went out to the Narrows just down from the house. I spent an hour casting and retrieving. I saw a handful of salmon jumping, but always way off in the distance. I tried BuzzBombs, a hoochie/flasher, a Zinger, and finally a Kastmaster. I gave myself until 2 p.m.

Then I felt resistance on the line. Did it get snagged on the bottom? The possibility was there, but low since it was rather high tide. Did I snag a huge piece of seaweed? That possibility was much higher, with the ever-present debris in the waters. But it wasn't acting quite like seaweed. Hmm... It was certainly heavier than a typical Dolly, and even more than a largest Dolly that I've experienced.

I decided to play it safe and release the tension on the baler and I could see and hear the line going out. Ah. This was likely a real fish on the end. I've previously lost what I suspected might be large catches by tugging and pulling too rapidly and hard. As I began to play with the line I could definitely feel the fish moving about. It went this way and that, in and out. It would rest and then try to zoom away. I could see that the hook was caught right around one of the jawbones - a tenuous location that pulling too suddenly might have broken. After several minutes the fish was beginning to tire and now I had to figure out a way to land it successfully. With Dollies I usually just fling it up and over, but this was too big for that. I carefully pulled it closer to shore, reeling in the line and then slowly pulled it out.

I had set it down and had pulled out the hook when it flipped and I lost grip. Aaaaaahhhhh! I didn't want to lose all my hard work back into the water. It was considerably weakened so after a short, desperate scramble I wedged it under my knees then grabbed it in its gills to secure it and whack it over the head with a rock a few times to stun it. With all that accomplished I brought my trophy home, showed it to the girls (Elise is working - so she'll get to see it tonight), then cleaned it.

Here is the humpy (pink salmon), 22-1/2 inches long:

No comments: