Sunday, August 08, 2010

Kelp Greenling

I was told there were humpies (pink salmon) at one of the creeks, so I drove out and fished there for a few hours. There were indeed humpies, but they weren't biting. They were going up the creek. You'd think that having lived here for nearly four years, I'd have seen salmon going up rivers, but oddly enough this is the first time I've actually seen it in the wild. It was a cool sight, watching the fish fight the current, jumping up small rapids. (It would have been better if I had caught one... but that's another story.)

What I did catch were a couple of small sculpins and the kelp greenling (female) pictured here. I wasn't quite sure what I had caught. Greenlings include the lingcods, so I was pretty sure it was one or the other. After returning home and looking at the sport fishing handbook, I was able to identify it. Next time I catch one like it, I will know. The next thing to figure out is whether this thing was worth cleaning. After doing a few web searches and learning about kelp greenlings, including the Wikipedia entry above, I learned that indeed they can be quite tasty. I had already figured that since lingcods are prized fish, kelp greenlings were at least edible.

The first thing I discovered upon starting to clean it was that this fish is quite scaly, unlike the Dollies I've been catching. Well, it is quite kosher, for those that care. I scaled, gutted, and cleaned before bringing it inside for the photo shoot.



Given my lack of experience with most freshly caught fish, this fish looks very "fishy." What was most surprising is that it really doesn't smell fishy at all. If I stick my nose right next to it and inhale, I can tell that yes, it is fish.

No comments: