Sunday, January 27, 2008

Bitter cold, frigid, arctic, biting, icy, windy

Wrangell Narrows

That about describes how things are today and will be for at least half the week. I think I saw the thermometer go all the way up to 19 degrees earlier this morning. It's down to about 14 now and for the next few nights, we are expected to be in the single digits. Tonight is supposed to be the coldest, going down to close to 0F.

The skies are wonderfully sunny, but it's just too cold to be outside. It isn't too bad a block up from the Narrows (that's where we live), but I went down to the beach and the wind was blustery and it was only a matter of minutes before I'd had enough and headed up the hill back home.

Some of the latest snow had slid off of the roof and onto the back porch, making the rear door almost unusable. I shoveled away that snow all the while keeping an eye on the roof and ears tuned to any noise of additional snow that might fall while I was right in the landing spot. Fortunately I did not have to take evasive maneuvers. I was worried because the sun was warming up the roof causing some melting to occur, even in these frigid temperatures.

Here are a few photos of the immediate area. I thought about strapping on a pair of snowshoes and going out on the frozen muskeg, but it's just too cold (and too tired from shoveling) to go about and look for more and better photo making opportunities.

Front of house   Petersburg Mountain from front window

Rear of house (2)  Rear of house (1)

No comments: