Friday, January 11, 2008

Back in Petersburg

Descent into Juneau
Descent into Juneau

Yesterday evening I made it safely back to Petersburg. The flight was was delayed 2 hours at Anchorage. The plane got off to a bad start on its initial run to Bethel. Due to the snow and cold, flights were backed up as deicer had to be sprayed onto each one.

There was time to get a bit of lunch while I waited. After boarding we backed up where a large amount of deicing fluid was sprayed onto the entire plane. The stuff is orange and has the consistency of antifreeze. I wonder if they're related.

With all that done we took off and on to Juneau. Juneau, unlike Anchorage and Petersburg, had a rather nice day with mostly sunny skies. By the time we landed, the sun was just setting.

We left Juneau for a quick hop to Petersburg. As we got closer, the snow got heavier. The clouds didn't appear to be too heavy because even in the disappearing twilight, I could still see a bit of the ocean surface below. There was enough visibility for the flight to be able to land. About 2-1/2 hours past scheduled arrival we landed in Petersburg.

It was snowing wet flakes on arrival. It pretty much continued that way through much of the night. This morning I tried to go out on my bike, but after going a block, slipping, sliding, feeling as if the wheels had their own minds, I decided the prudent thing to do was to turn back and start out again on foot.

On the way out to town (now on foot), I met someone else coming back from town on a bike. He wasn't doing much better than I was. When I mentioned that I started out on the bike before setting back out on foot, he said that previous days weren't so bad. With the air warming and everything turning to slush, things weren't too great today.

Anchorage Int'l Airport  No Aloha in Anchorage today

Icefields Near Juneau  Icefields near Juneau

Icefields near Juneau  Icefields near Juneau

Icefields near Juneau  Icefields near Juneau

Sunset over Juneau  Sunset over Juneau

Sunset over Juneau   Descent into Juneau

No comments: