Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Moving in...

We began moving the contents of the apartment into the house. We first brought in a table and some folding chairs from the church so that we would have some place to eat and for me to use the computer until our big furniture got moved.

We then began moving some of the kitchen contents. We weren't planning on moving too much more than that, but one of our church members was so eager to help us move tonight that we ended up moving the beds and bedding. So we will be spending our first night at the house.

We thought we might spend a few more days at the apartment, but our Internet connection was moved over this afternoon. When I went in this afternoon to ask for the transfer, I was told it would probably get done Friday. Just an hour or so later, I'm sitting at the kitchen table in the apartment and I see the cable truck drive in. A few seconds later, I no longer have an Internet connection. I make an educated guess that the two things are not just coincidence and so I packed up my cable modem and WiFi router. As soon as I plug all the equipment back in inside the new garage (which is where the cable and CAT5 connections are), I see that the connection is live.

I didn't get around to calling the phone company until late this afternoon, so the phone line transfer will take place some time tomorrow.

We've never done a move where it's only a block from the old to the new. It's probably not the most efficient way, but we've been doing quite a bit of, "I need that," or, "I forgot that," and moving things on foot.

When we realized we were going to be starting our stay at the house tonight, we decided that it was time to move that cats. They were carried in the car for the short trip over and then they were shut in the bathroom for a few hours while other things were moved in and to get them used to their new home. They were let out this evening and as expected, they are slowly getting acquainted with their new surroundings.

I spent the evening replacing most of the incandescent light bulbs with compact flourescents. I'm going to have to order another 25 or so CFL bulbs to finish the job. I'm debating whether or not to spend a rather pricey sum to replace the candle bulbs in the kitchen fixture. That and a light fixture in Shelley's room are the only ones where regular CFL bulbs won't work. I discovered a little while back that CFLs and bathrooms don't seem to get along too well. Something about the moisture significantly reduces the bulb life. So our bathrooms won't get the CFL treatment -- but then, those lights usually don't remain turned on for too long.

We discovered that the hottub cover is very heavy. The roof over the hottub is constructed in such a way that the cover simply can't be lifted up and over -- it hsa to be slid away and out from under the room completely. One person can slide it out, but to put it back on requires at least two.

It's a good thing our large pieces of furniture will remain in the front rooms. There is no way anything of that size could go around some of the corners and up the stairs. Houses from the 1930's and current furniture designed to fit today's huge houses simply don't go together. It took a bit of creative maneuvering to get the queen mattress and boxsprings up the stairs.

No comments: