Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A bit of dancing

There is a family from Sweden visiting Petersburg. From what I heard, they teach dance back home. The father plays the fiddle. I don't know what all the different connections are, but this evening Shelley was invited to be part of a little get together -- not exactly a workshop, but more like a sharing of music and dance. Heidi Lee, who teaches Norwegian dance here and leads the Leikarring dancers was there with a few of the dancers. A few of the fiddlers and guitarists were also there.

Because the day was so sunny and warm, the whole group met outside at the Lutheran church parking area. The Swedes taught a few of their dances, and Heidi taught a few of the Norwegian ones. A few fiddle tunes were played.

Shelley joined in for quite a few of the dances when the fiddles weren't playing. I joined in for a couple of the dances and learned a Viking dance and some kind of an Eastern European dance. Hey, maybe I have a future as a folk dancer... or NOT!  Sorry, no photos of my embarrassing moments as I'm fumbling the dance steps.

No comments: