Monday, March 26, 2007

Winter makes a comeback

Since Saturday, the skies have been showing off its blueness, the sun has been peeking through the clouds. The temperatures have warmed up, the snow is thawing, and edges of lawns can be seen where the snow has retreated.

Believing that spring is here and not expecting much more in the way of ice and snow, I swapped out my bicycle wheels yesterday from ones with studded tires to the ones with cyclocross type tires. I went out for a nice ride out and back for about 45 minutes under light showers.

This morning was similar. I rode out to the church to take the trash bin to the street for emptying today. Later on, in early afternoon, I rode out to the Post Office to retrieve today's mail. There was a package for Amy containing shoes and boots. I was afraid I was going to have to call Elise to come pick up the package, but I managed to cram the box with the other pieces of mail into my backpack and return home.

It was only short time after returning that I looked out the window and saw ice pellets raining down. After a few minutes of that, snow started to fall. It started out light, then got heavier and heavier until it was no longer possible to see across the Narrows.

And then just a few minutes later the snow tapered and the sun peeked through the clouds, and the far shore became visible again...


And soon enough, the skies began to clear and show some blue...


This evening, the snow is falling like it was in the first photo -- heavy and blown about by gusty winds. The far shore is nearly hidden again. The Juneau forecast office has issued a snow advisory for much of tomorrow, with 2 to 5 inches possible by the evening tomorrow.

It looks like Winter is giving her one last "hurrah!" before leaving the stage for spring's solo act.

No comments: