Monday, April 27, 2009

Odds and Ends…

You’re right, there really haven’t been much in the way of updates and posts on this blog lately. The rhythm of life gets pretty similar once you’ve lived in the same place for more than 2 years.

We are getting some wonderful spring weather – dry and sunny. This week, in fact, might be closer to summer-like with temperatures in the 60’s. ‘

I will be missing that because I am heading out of town to see my parents over in Tokyo, which I hear is even warmer. I have an overnight in Seattle in both directions. On the way back I have a long layover in Portland as well.

I’ve been a little busy taking care of a few things before I leave. One of the big things was getting ads and promos set up around town for a personal finance workshop to be held next Tuesday and Wednesday by our Conference treasurer and her CPA husband. Another things was making sure everything was up-to-date as far as the ministerial association secretarial duties are concerned.

Our cat, Stripey, continues to look well (whew!) and has become a regular nuisance (again). We’re trying to keep him from overeating, but with two cats, that’s not easy to do. We have their food dishes in separate parts of the house, but Stripey tends to wander towards Vivvy’s dish and munch on it.

Last week I was given a small bag with four, fresh king salmon filets. Over the course of the next few days I pan-grilled them and savored every one. I’ve had good salmon over the years, but these were simply outstanding. This was a case where simple was best --  just some kosher salt sprinkled prior to grilling – to savor the fine and delicate salmon flavors. I’ve never been a big fan of sauces on fish, even though that seems to be the American way…

With spring here, Amy is back to gardening. Tonight she is busy putting together little seed starting planters from discarded chocolate milk containers, filling them with dirt, and seeding them.

I received a call from our Conference President this afternoon. The news is that the district pastor in Wrangell has decided to retire (well, he’s retired, but really retire now, I guess). The Conference is looking to place a full-time pastor in the Petersburg-Wrangell church district. Change is always interesting, at the least, and could be stressful if things (style, personality, etc.) don’t match well… We will see how all this pans out.

I’ve been packing off and on the past couple of days. I’ve got one large suitcase, a messenger bag, and a small camera bag. Those of you who know me might recall that I hate to travel. I don’t mind getting to where I’m going and being there, but I don’t like the process of travel. Someone really needs to spend more research money and time on Transporters…

No comments: