Sunday, April 12, 2009

Hope Isn’t Hope

Nearly every week, our Sabbath School discussion stumbles over semantics and meanings of words. This week, I’m sure, will not be an exception.

The topic for this week is “hope.” What is hope? Is it optimism or positive thinking?

In today’s use of the term “hope,” we often use it in phrases as…

  • I hope it won’t rain tomorrow.
  • I hope I pass the exam.
  • I hope I don’t catch the flu.
  • I hope I win the lottery.

… and so on…

As can be seen, in today’s usage, “hope” is best described as an expectation that something positive that will happen, but of which the chance of coming to pass is at best uncertain.

What is the proper understanding of “hope” as used in the Bible?

Answers.com provides as its last definition entry for the word hope, “Archaic. Trust; confidence.” Here we find a clue to the proper understanding of “hope” as found in the Bible. In biblical usage, hope is not optimism or positive thinking, or of looking for a positive outcome in an uncertain environment. Rather, it is absolute confidence that the thing hoped for will come to pass, even though there are no previous occurrences and present circumstances may be against it.

When we approach the Bible with today’s definitions (not just limited to the word “hope” but just about all theologically significant terms), it is no wonder we get all confused and end up misunderstanding what the Bible is trying to communicate to us.

No comments: