Tuesday, January 27, 2009

All I Didn’t Want for Christmas Was My Two Back Teeth…

That’s not quite how the song goes…

The reason is that I got two upper wisdom teeth removed yesterday. In December one of them began to crumble away and so with a quick appointment to the dentist, I scheduled a time to get that one and the other one removed. And that happened to be yesterday. Fortunately there was no pain associated with the tooth during the intervening time.

I was rather tense during the whole extraction process. First came four injections of local anesthesia. Then the dentist used all sorts of different tools to cut and grab, twist, pull, and break. Both teeth seemed somewhat stubborn in coming out, but they both came out, and other than the stress of watching and feeling it being done, there was no pain involved.

Twenty-four hours later, the extraction sites seemed to have stopped bleeding, so that is good news. It means I shouldn’t need antibiotics.

This last Sabbath was Religious Liberty emphasis Sabbath. This year, rather than crafting my own sermon or adapting the supplied one, I used the supplied one on video.

Our kitchen hot water pot appliance broke last week. It was many years old, and the seal on the air bladder finally tore. It didn’t look repairable and trying to get a replacement for something that old was probably not very productive, not to mention time-consuming. I looked in Amazon.com and saw a number of water pots. I ordered one of the smaller (i.e., less expensive) ones and was happy to get it shipped free.

It arrived much more quickly than I had expected. It has more buttons and settings than the old one. Actually, the old one didn’t have any buttons… just a big thing to push on the top of the lid. The new one is electronically controlled, different temperature settings, and uses an electric pump to dispense the water. What I like best is the ability to reboil the water to bring it up to boiling temperature. I couldn’t use the water from our old one for coffee because the temp was too low.

The weather here has been wacky. Last week there were a couple spring-like and almost summer-like days. Then it got quite cold again. Yesterday and today things warmed up so that we had both rain and snow, and even a little bit of sun.

The AeroGarden is doing pretty well. I harvested a bit of dill tonight and sprinkled some on the soup that we had. I also had to trim the chives a bit because they were getting too tall in relation to the other plants.

Also over the weekend I received a replacement SIM card for my BlackBerry. I didn’t get around to activating and installing it today. But now I did and the BlackBerry is working again.

Yesterday I filed for this year’s Permanent Fund Dividend. There’s incentive to file early and online – the PFD is received earlier.

That’s the excitement going on around our place.

No comments: