Wednesday, October 08, 2008

A bizarre thought experiment

A truly bizarre question just entered my mind…

First off, what follows probably won’t make much sense at all unless you’re familiar with Seventh-day Adventist eschatology and such.

Anyway, my question is based on the following presuppositions:

  • That there are other inhabited planets in the universe,
  • That after the Second Advent the saved can visit said planets,
  • That such travel occurs at the speed of thought,
  • That the speed of light in a vacuum is a constant,
  • That currently known physical properties of the universe do not change following the Second Advent.

Let’s suppose I am able to instantly go to a planet that is 200 million light years away from planet Earth. If I could see Earth from that planet, what will I see? Will sight itself be able to transcend space-time and thus I’ll see everything in NOW time? Will I have a choice to view things based on more restricted physical properties? If I choose the latter, what will I see back on Earth? The Earth as it was 200 million years ago?

Okay, so maybe it’s time to stop thinking and go to bed.

3 comments:

~ V ~ said...

I remember reading/hearing somewhere that it will take us a week to get to Heaven (don't quote me on that). Anyway, would that be Earth time, Heaven time, or does time change depending on what planet/solar system we are on?

Is time relative to what we are accustomed to? As in, my first computer was so fast, until I upgraded. Or, it used to take a week to get photos in the mail of my niece. Now they can be arrive on my computer in a matter of minutes after the photograph was taken...and I'm tapping my fingers on the desk waiting for my dial-up connection to download them.

I think xperiences and expectations are big factors. Take the thoughts of a pregnant woman who just happened to get 11 1/2 hours of sleep last night for what they are worth. I'm a bit giddy with excitement right now that I got so much sleep...relative to the 2 hours that I got the night before!

Mark said...

Yup, time is quite relative. Science has observed that the faster an object A travels, the slower time travels (when observed by an object B that is stationary). So in theory (if I recall correctly), object A traveling at the speed of light doesn't actually experience a passage of time (or if it does, it's really, really slow).

And then there are theories of the fabric of space-time where there can be up to 10 dimensions. Upon folding different dimensions, it can be possible to travel from one point to another point in a lower dimension in an instant.

Mark said...

Oh, and I've read of physics experiments in which light itself has been "frozen" in time and space. So who knows, huh?