Sunday, September 02, 2007

Fall is here (and Elise's birthday)

Here in Southeast Alaska, at about 56'N latitude, the Fall season is upon us. I woke up this morning to a completely fogged-in Narrows. Throughout the early morning, as the larger boats (like the ferry) went past, they would sound their fog horns. Even though our heater is kept at 60F, it frequently kicked in as the temperature dropped below that. The morning flight could not land (although it did try) because of the fog.

Late afternoon the fog started to burn off. As it approaches sunset, the skies are partly cloudy, though Petersburg Mountain right in front of us still has low clouds around most of it.

Since tomorrow is Labor Day and all the stores will be closed, I made sure to go out and do some grocery shopping. Today is Elise's birthday so I also looked around for a card and a gift. Since she might read this before she opens the present, I'm not saying what it is quite yet.

Elise worked today - early morning until, well, until she gets back home in an hour or so. Shelley also worked today from mid-morning until this evening. Amy spent the greater part of the day over at her garden, doing whatever she does there... She called this evening to have me pick her up because she had so much stuff to bring back: 3 large zuchinnis, a large shovel, dirt sifter, tarp, buckets, some flowers... Way too much to fit into her backpack and come home on her bike.

While I was going out to town (I was walking because Elise drove to work), I bumped into the newly-arrived Catholic priest. I met him last Wednesday. He comes from, most recently, Chicago, and has spent his entire priesthood in urban areas. So Petersburg is quite a change for him. I don't think he's quite decided whether or not he likes Petersburg yet. He will be here for three years.

He invited me in to the church and parsonage for a cup of tea. I accepted the invitation, and got a quick tour of the building -- my first time inside this particular church. We chatted for a while, talking about home schooling, the community, and so on. I mentioned to him about holidays and stores closing. He thought it would be prudent for him to go pick up a few supplies today.

I can't help but believe that somehow this was my divine appointment for today -- to just chit-chat and warn him about stores being closed tomorrow.

I just finished cooking a from-scratch pasta sauce a few minutes ago. Amy is busily creating a version of minestrone soup. I thought about making my own pie, but after looking at the prices for pie filling and all the time making it would take, I decided that $8 for a pre-made 40 oz. pie was worth the cost. I also picked up some butter-pecan Tillamook ice cream -- just for Elise because she's the only one that really likes nuts in ice cream.

We are hoping that our Ukrainian friends who spent their summer working here were able to make it out on the afternoon flight. But the flight is going the wrong direction. They were supposed to go to Anchorage today. We are once again entering the time of year when travel is frequently at the whim of the weather.

No comments: