Friday, June 08, 2007

Sunny muskeg in June

Today was a sunny day from dawn. I tried and tried to put tomorrow's sermon together, but so far, it hasn't happened. I'm blaming the weather, particularly the sun, for my under-inspiration.

This week was Vacation Bible School at the Bible Church. Amy went there for three days. The parents were invited for their closing little bit, so we went to get an idea of what the kids were doing during the week. It was full of joyful noise and a mostly-controlled sort of bedlam.

Next week, the Baptist church holds their VBS. We offered to lend a few hands to help, and it looks like we will be doing just that.

We, ourselves, will not be having a VBS. If everyone who attends our church regularly and not-so-regularly was able to help (and only about half actually fit into that category), we might be able to do something. But the reality is that it's just me who would be able to do that in our church, so it just isn't realistic. My thought is that for next year, we might see if there is a church or school group from the Lower 48 that wants to spend a week of vacation time here running a VBS.

This afternoon, I finally gave up trying to work on the sermon. Instead, I took my camera out with me on a walk through the muskeg. The air temperature may have only been in the low 60's, but it sure felt hot. I was in short sleeves and still sweating. Here are a few photos of what the muskeg looks like during early summer.

(Click on a image for larger view and caption)

So what will happen about the sermon? I have plenty of notes that I've taken down during the preparation. I also have all sorts of themes and topics from these notes. But all that have not yet "jelled" into a coherent sermon.

Maybe if the rain started to fall... That might help with a little bit of inspiration. What do you think?

No comments: