Monday, June 04, 2007

How much of hot pepper innards to remove...

I'm still trying to figure out how much of the innards of serrano chiles to remove. If I take it all out, there's really not much point in cooking with them. Leaving in too much means the dishes are way too hot for most people.

This evening, I left in most of the middle fuzz and about a dozen seeds for a green bean dish. Amy's first reaction was a startled yelp. I tried it and discovered that, yes, it was on the warmer side. Both girls did finish (together with generous helpings of plain yogurt) the serving that I had placed on their dishes.

It's looking as if they're getting their taste buds conditioned to spicier foods. Later in the evening, after they returned from the pool and Elise came home, both girls decided to have more of the green beans. From hearing Shelley talk about it, I think that Shelley is learning the pleasures that come with spicy hot foods.

So maybe I don't need to worry so much about finding a precise measure of how much of the innards to leave in... Maybe I can continue to increase the heat level...

No comments: