Monday, October 19, 2009

Jar of Pasta Sauce

On the return from our outing yesterday, I stopped to pick up items for supper. Because I was rather tired and still feeling the effects of jetlag, I looked to see what I could find for a pre-made, jar of pasta sauce. I did find some, but they were something like 300 yen for a jar about half the size of, say, a Ragu or Prego.

It was back to my original plan: putting together a marinara sauce mostly from scratch. I looked for cans of crushed tomatoes – no luck. There were cans of whole, peeled tomatoes and diced tomatoes. Just no crushed tomatoes. There were pouches of lightly seasoned tomato sauce. The photo on the package pictured a fairly lumpy kind of sauce, so I decided to take a chance with them. I picked up three of them at 158 yen each. (I ended up using two of them – still rather expensive compared to canned ones in the States.)

I wanted some fresh basil leaves, but was unable to locate any at the grocery I happened to be in, and being so tired I did not want to go to another one.

The sauce turned out just fine with the substitutions. The tomato sauce pouches contained tomatoes that were close enough to crushed tomatoes.

No comments: