Friday, August 21, 2009

Mom is gone

My mother passed away early this morning (Alaska time). I’ll be flying over to Tokyo this evening and plan to stay there for about two weeks. I was surprised that I was able to get tickets for under $2,000. The original search turned up prices that were at or above $2,000. I fiddled with the departure dates to try to find something reasonable, and around 2 weeks seemed to be the sweet spot. When I clicked to purchase the tickets though, the site informed it that lower prices had been found. I think it was about $300 lower. I arrive in Seattle around 11 p.m., then leave for Vancouver at 6 a.m. before transferring onto the actual flight to Tokyo for arrival there Sunday afternoon.

In the big picture, I think it was better that Mom passed away so quickly. She didn’t have to experience the worst parts of ALS. I think it is better for those of us left behind to have an early closure rather than one that drags on for years. As my mom said in the last conversation we had over Skype, we are confident that we will meet again when Jesus returns. The next time we meet we will no longer be in bodies decaying from disease, but brand new ones that will never lose health or strength.

No comments: