Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Old phones, new phones, wasabi almonds

I cancelled our cell phone service with Verizon Wireless today. Our contract expired at the end of last month, and I discovered that our monthly usage was falling below 30 minutes/month. I picked up a couple of prepaid cell phones that are currently on special -- free phones and no activation fee when purchased with $50 or more in prepaid minutes. We'll use these for basically emergencies, for Elise to take on-call calls, and for the kids to take along when they're about town on their own.

Of the two numbers that were activated, one of them didn't work completely until today. I could call out from it, I could call into it from the local landline, from another cell phone on the ACS network, but NOT from a number on the Cellular One network (on which my T-Mobile service roams). After spending an hour this morning myself with technical support, I took the phone back to the office where I purchased it and let them fight with it. It finally got working after someone at ACS figured out there were additional ports that had to be opened... whatever that means in cell-phone network speak.

Cell phone service is notoriously unreliable here. I've experienced outages that went longer than a day. Sometimes it's both service providers, sometimes it one or the other. So a landline is a must, and if you have more than one cell phone, it kind of makes to have them on separate networks.

While my sister was here, she found that we are able to get Blue Diamond Bold Wasabi & Soy Sauce Almonds at the convenience store. So she purchased a can for us and I've been hooked...

We began our search for a house today. We went into and looked at three today. We'll look at a couple more on Friday. There just aren't that many homes to choose from here, and none meet all of our needs and desires. We'll see how things go during the next days and weeks.

No comments: