Friday, October 20, 2006

A little taste of India

I'll get to the India part shortly...

My day was spent mostly accomplishing a number of church-related tasks. As this Sabbath is Spirit of Prophecy and Heritage Sabbath, I adapted the supplied sermon to mold it to fit better into the direction I see our church going. I then looked at ordering some business cards and stationery, but after seeing the prices (i.e., we can't afford it) and finding a document with guidelines for what they are supposed to look like (e.g., meaurements, colors, fonts) I spent a couple of hours putting those together. And then I spent some time preparing to teach the Sabbath School lesson in the morning.

Elise has now successfully passed the first two of fourteen units in her RN refresher course. She appeared quite tired after a whole week of studying for her class, teaching our kids their schoolwork, and other daily duties.

This afternoon Shelley rode her bicycle into town all by herself. Coming from a large-ish urban area (Portland metro), naturally we (I think Elise in particular) has some concern about letting children go out and about by themselves. But here, all the kids go hither and yonder with really no cares or worries. Shelley's destination was the library where she found another book to bring home.

About a week ago, Elise borrowed an (Asian) Indian cookbook from the library. I've been going through it noting recipes that I want to try. This evening I decided that I could try my hand at baking some Naan (flat bread). So I put together all the ingredients -- milk, yeast, sugar, baking powder, salt, yogurt, egg, flour, oil -- and baked some. Elise put together a relish of tomatoes, cilantro, onions, and roasted cumin; and also cooked a pot of lentils. It all came together quite well, and we all enjoyed the meal. I enjoyed the little bit of exotic taste and a change from pasta, beans, rice, and tortillas that have been pretty much our mainstay since our arrival.

The Aurora forecast for this weekend is very high. It's too bad that the weather forecast is calling for clouds and rain throughout.

No comments: