Thursday, January 04, 2007

Fair, then snow

We awoke this morning to fair skies, and nearly a full moon. There was a dusting of snow on the ground. As I was driving Elise over to the hospital, I noticed how the moon might become picturesque if it traveled to just the right location in relation to the landforms.

After returning to the apartment, I was doing some reading and studying, but keeping an eye on the moon. It was right around 8 a.m. when I noticed the moon was goint to set behind Kupreanof Island, so quickly, I grabbed the camera and tripod, and in open sandals (but I did have socks worn), rushed out toward the Narrows. I first took a grab shot just on the sidewalk outside the apartments before heading across the street and over the guardrail.

Here are a couple of moon images, plus an image of the clouds starting to roll in from the west.

Later in the morning, I made my way out on foot to the bank, insurance office, and the church. It was dry, but icy and slippery, when I started out. By the time I had finished my business at the bank, it was starting to snow. By the time I got out of the insurance office, it was snowing hard.

I did more cleaning up of the last Christmas stuff at the church, and then stepped outside to go to the toy store (to purchase some LEGO bricks for this Sabbath's sermon), the Post Office and then back home. By this time, the ground had an inch or so, perhaps more, of snow. And it kept coming down.

On the way back from the Post Office I stopped at the big grocery store to put up a flyer for the bread and cereal cooking class that we will be holding in three weeks. While there, Bob Carter of the Presbyterian Church, bumped into me and asked to take one of the flyers for his church. I was more than happy to have him spread the word.

I walked back from there using a route I had never used before. It is one of the walking paths through the muskeg, going past the Manor, and out to the ballfield. From there I took 8th street back towards the apartment. Altogether, I think I walked around 4 miles today.

Elise went home early today. The nursing director is out of town, and the other nurses there aren't quite sure how Elise is supposed to be legally classified while still in her training hours. So Elise has a couple of unexpected days off this week. She will resume next week after all the right people are back. She called me just as I arrived at the church. If I was driving, I could have gone to pick her up, but as I had walked... Elise didn't have boots nor a coat with her. She purchased a coat at the Salvation Army Thrift Store before walking home.

So taking advantage of this unexpected break, we all went back into the city. Since our auto insurance is up for renewal this month, we purchased a new policy here. And then we went to the library and spent some time there before going to the Salvation Army Thrift Store to look around and pick up some things Deloris had picked out for Shelley and Amy to look over. By this time the snow was thick and heavy. The top of our pickup had 3 or so inches in the hour or two that had passed. Tomorrow looks to be an interesting day.

2 comments:

Heather said...

~beautiful~ pictures -- isn't God awesome? Thanks for sharing!

Mark said...

The moonscape was particularly relevant because I was in the midst of reading Psalms 8 and 19.