Saturday, January 13, 2007

Evangelism vs. Proselytizing

The difference between evangelism and proselytizing -- what is it exactly? I think this is getting to the root of my discomfort (and perhaps many others) with what is often termed evangelism.

For starters, you might want to visit the dictionary definitions of evangelism and proselytize.

The difference I see is that evangelism is neutral -- I proclaim what I believe and leave it at that. There is no pressure on the listener. I have no motive other than to share what I already have.

Proselytizing is significantly different in that the ultimate motive is to turn (convert) the listeners into my clones, to make them join my organization (denomination). Because of this motive, everything I do is geared to achieve that goal. There is, therefore, unavoidable pressure applied to the listeners. I am allowed to use ethically questionable methods, because the end (conversion to a set of beliefs -- which is falsely equated with salvation) justifies the means.

Does this mean that in evangelism I should never ask for decisions to be made? No, I don't think so. But what I do think is that I shouldn't make blanket appeals. I need to work with each individual, know where they are in their spiritual journeys, seek guidance from the Holy Spirit, and gently pose questions to help each seeker cross the line of faith. I cannot use any pressure, I cannot use any guilt, I cannot use anything even remotely manipulative (or can be considered manipulative by even one person) in evangelism.

In other words, I am highly critical of those asking for decisions during public meetings because by its nature, there will be pressure. It is something that goes against my beliefs of evangelism. It crosses the line into proselytizing.

I am also critical of "evangelism" that does visit people individually, but slowly (or not so slowly) turns the pressure on them to make a decision in favor of a set of beliefs.

The Holy Spirit and the individual who is making the spiritual journey have to lead the way. My job is to observe and to suggest course changes, but never in a way that violates free will.

No comments: