Friday, September 25, 2015

Nespresso VertuoLine Intenso

15-09-25_09-46-32

I ordered a sleeve of the new VertuoLine Intenso capsules. On Nespresso’s 1 through 11 intensity scale, this one is rated at a 9 – currently their most “intense” offering for a regular coffee for the VertuoLine machines. 15-09-25_09-48-08_2

It was waiting for me upon my return from a trip to Anchorage and I tried it out this morning. Over the past several years I’ve been shying away from dark roasts because I’ve noticed that medium roasts tend to have better flavor and aren’t as harsh. (Though this might have more to do with simply poor roasting.)

15-09-25_09-45-00What I found with the Intenso is that there is none of the offensive harsh bitterness and burnt taste that I so frequently find in dark roasts. It is quite smooth and has a good aroma and flavor. It is quite a bit like drinking a half-strength espresso (similar to an Americano, but stronger). It has a deep, dark color to complement the taste and aroma. I think I like it better than the Stormio, the next most intense coffee in the line. Stormio, to me, has some of the characteristics that I don’t like about dark roasts. YMMV.

No comments: