Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Five Years Ago…

My mother passed away after battling and succumbing to ALS. Here she is, just three months before her passing. It’s hard to believe it’s been five years already.

RIMG0464

The last couple of weeks there has been a lot of social media attention on ALS, primarily due to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. Frankly, I’m somewhat ambivalent about it. I think it’s great that this disease is getting widespread attention, and if the “stunt” helps raise funds (which it appears to be doing), the I’m all for it. I don’t know that I’d do it. I think just sending money is perfectly fine.

I’ve seen comments, too, from detractors, and that’s fine. If you think it’s a dumb stunt, or self-aggrandizement, or whatever – fine. You’re entitled to your opinion but it seems that so far, the results have been mostly positive. You can watch the blooper reels and go pout in the corner.

My ire is reserved for those who criticize and attack the ALS Association for their support for embryonic stem cell research. Really?! Go sit on some nails or something! Pour cement into a bucket and set your feet in it and wait until its sets! Go stick a plastic bag over your head and find out what it feels like to not be able to breathe! Gah!

RIMG0140

No comments: