Thursday, April 28, 2011

Caught my first fish of the year

Three of them, that is.

I caught a cold and started feeling ill yesterday. Today was a sunny and warm day and I probably would have gone out on the bicycle if I felt better. But no fear – I don’t have to waste a perfectly good day. I can just go fish.

I’ve gone out a few times in the past several weeks. The last couple of times out I hooked one, but it got away, one hit the lure but didn’t bite, and I saw a couple of fish chase the lure. I knew there were fish (Dollies) out there, so it was just a matter of time.

On the first cast out today I hooked and landed one, a mid-size Dolly. After gutting and cleaning it, I caught the next one about ten minutes later – a slightly larger one. I gutted and cleaned this second one. As I fished I saw a couple of fish chase the lure without biting, and then another ten or fifteen minutes later another one bit, fighting more strongly than the earlier two. After landing it I saw that it was the biggest one of the day.

Three being enough to keep me fed for a few days, I went home to wash the fish and put them in the refrigerator. The small one will probably be my lunch today.

No comments: