Saturday, December 08, 2007

First real snow of the winter

The snow started this morning, and it's been falling all day. For most of the day, the weather forecast has insisted that accumulation would only be about an inch. Now that there's a few inches on the ground, the forecast has changed to, "Oh by the way, expect 2 to 4 inches."

The air is supposed to warm up this week. It already has up to about 30F. So the snow may be short-lived. I may not have to put my as-yet-unused snow shovel to use quite yet.

The rest of this week was just very cold and dry. Shelley did go out to skate on the large pond at the ball field. Her skates are a bit too tight on her, so after about 30 minutes her feet are too sore to continue. We are looking on e-Bay to see about getting a larger, good, used pair of skates.

I am not a skater. I can propel myself around on the ice, but it isn't very pretty to see. I don't fall, but neither do I glide on the blades. I'm still trying to figure out how to hold my ankles and feet in order to get a better glide without doing so much scraping of the ice.

Our upcoming Sabbath will be our annual Christmas brunch and worship service. This year I'm trying something a little risky -- a worship potluck. In other words, everyone who wants to is invited to bring something to share during the worship time: a song or two, a story, poetry, or perhaps a Christmas memory. There won't be much in the way of pre-planned items or structure -- as the Spirit moves, those who are present will participate. Similar to a potluck of food, where you don't know quite what you'll find or experience, I'm hoping that the worship will be a delightful mix of surprise and discovery.

That doesn't mean I get the week off, however. The few young people we have will be singing a Christmas sketch, I'll need to prepare a few musical items, and perhaps keep a short story or message in the back pocket in case there isn't enough other participation.

No comments: