Friday, February 08, 2013

Winter Squash Pasta Sauce

I had some kabochas sitting around and I needed to use them in some way. Yesterday afternoon I was informed that our daughter was bringing a couple friends over to try on some dresses for homecoming and would be around for dinner.

Okay… what shall I put together for teenage girls whose culinary tastes I don’t know at all? Pasta is generally a safe choice. But how could I work kabocha into it? And should I even try? I figured that sauce from a jar would be present in case my plan failed, so with that I split open the kabocha and stuck them in the oven.

I imagined a cream based sweet-savory sauce, so I went to my usual go-to aromatics of onions and garlic to form the base. Some red pepper flakes and oregano to provide an accent, and I was on my way. Together with broth, cream, some grated Romano cheese, the baked squash combined into a thick sauce. I boiled some Rotini, and then right before serving stirred in a bit of Extra Virgin olive oil into the sauce.

Now came the verdict: what did the girls think about it? No one turned it down, and all went for multiple helpings – apparently a success. To further prove the point, I was asked to write down the recipe.

The backup Marinara sauce never got touched.

Winter Squash Pasta Sauce

Ingredients

  • 1 medium butternut or kabocha squash, split and seeded
  • 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • Pinch, red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 red onion diced small
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
  • 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
  • 1 cup cream
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Directions

  1. Place squash halves on baking sheet, cut side down. Place in oven (okay to start cold) and bake at 425F for about an hour or until very soft. Remove from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle without burning fingers. Meanwhile, prep any remaining ingredients.
  2. In a large saucepan heat vegetable oil over medium heat. When hot drop in red pepper flakes and let sizzle for about 30 seconds. Add oregano and onions and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add broth and cream. Bring to simmer and reduce heat to keep at simmer.
  3. Peel outer skin off of squash and add flesh to the broth and cream. Stir, breaking down squash into a thick sauce. Stir in cheese. Stir in 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Add more to taste. Add more broth if sauce appears to be too thick.
  4. Remove from heat and stir in olive oil.

No comments: