Friday, May 23, 2008

Start of Memorial Weekend

And in Petersburg that means the start of the annual Salmon Derby. This morning at 7 am. the contestants signed-in and then raced off to their respective fishing locations. We saw a number of boats speed by shortly after 7 am.

You couldn't ask for a better day to kick things off. Absolutely clear, no clouds in the sky, sunny, warm, and not even a whole lot of wind.

This afternoon I took down my road bike for a spin down the south side of the island. Along the way I stopped a few times to take some photos. The absolute clearness of the sky is actually quite a bit of a problem for photos. Because I had just a limited amount of space to carry a camera, I debated whether to take my years-old compact digital, or take my DSLR with a fixed 35mm lens. This lens is very small, yet I find it to have pretty good image quality. I opted for the latter, simply because the image quality would be better and I'd have more flexibility in the PC during processing. The camera fit nicely into my small Camelbak compartment, so I was happy about that.

I had hoped to stop a few more times to capture a few more waterfalls along the way, but I started to feel ill and made a beeline back.

Anyway, here are a few of the sights from today.

South Narrows  South Narrows
Twin Creek into Narrows  White Marsh Marigold
Stream Violet  Alaska Violet
A Waterfall along Mitkof Hwy

No comments: